Monday, June 23, 2008

At least we remembered the sunscreen (Day 2)


Friday morning I awoke with a bit of a headache, so I decided to go outside to take a walk. (My family was all still sleeping soundly). I stepped out the back door and was greeted by the fragrant aroma of honeysuckle.

If you have been to runnerdave's house you know that there is only one way to take a walk. Down the hill. So I walked down the hill, which was all well in good. Unfortunately, when you walk down the hill, you have to walk back up it. (My shins hurt for three days from this).

After walking up the hill, I unloaded all of the stuff and brought it into the kitchen. Then I sat down and had a bowl of rice chex which we had brought (yes, I'm that stupid). Dave's tennant from upstairs came down and said hi. He said he wasn't bothered by us coming in so late because he had still been awake.

Then the kids started waking up. I fed them breakfast. Then I cleaned out a very cobwebby window well to make s0me extra space for some of the stuff we had brought. The cleaning helped me to feel better.

Eventually, Paul woke up and we had some lunch. Then we drove to Grandma Linda's house to drop off some the stuff we had brought for Cheryl's wedding. We brought swimming stuff with us thinking the kids could go for a swim while we were there. I even remembered to cover them with sunscreen. The drive from Dave's to Linda's takes about an hour. And by the time we arrived it was pouring down rain.

The kids ran into Grandma's house and instantly covered the floor with toys. Linda spent a little time with the kids. But Cheryl came home soon and the two of them had to leave for some wedding planning stuff.

The children did not want to pick up the toys. But after much discipline we were able to get the toys crammed back into the cupboard. Then we set off for the giant eagle to pick up some groceries. Paul took Sam and walked to Radio shack. Omi was hungry so I decided to nurse her in the sling while I shopped.

Unfortunately Abby and Isaac behaved terribly at the store. The culmination came when they unloaded about a hundred calling cards from a display and dumped them on the floor (while I was trying to pay).

So I made the decision to keep the kids home (at dave's house) and put them to bed early.

Dave was at the house when we got back, so he and Paul took off together for the church. I fed the kids some peanut butter sandwiches, and put them to bed around 7:00. They fought and got up and fought and got up. So I spent much of the evening administering discipline and fretting. I had to put Isaac in the playpen.

Then I went outside and paced back and forth on the deck until Paul came home (around 10:30). Unfortunately, Paul forgot to bring me dinner, so I ended up eating a turkey sandwich.

No comments: