Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Tents

Due to the ever expanding size of my tummy, and due to the upcoming church rummage sale, I have been sorting through clothing and trying things on. I had to face the unfortunate, saddening reality; I have now reached the tent phase of pregnancy. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, this is the phase in which the only clothing that fits makes you look like you are wearing a tent.

I have lots of really cute maternity clothing from my previous pregnancies. It never fit right. Right up until the point when you really need maternity clothes it is possible to find all sorts of adorable maternity clothes. Then, once your tummy reaches a certain point, the only way to find clothing to cover it is to buy things three sizes to large. I don't get it. My tummy is big, the rest of me is not. Presumably this is what maternity clothing is supposed to be for. SO WHY DOESN"T IT FIT?????

Some of the shirts fit pretty well, but they aren't nearly long enough. I thought I could get by wearing a camisole under them. But the camis I can find either aren't long enough, or they roll up over my belly.

Ugh! Two more months of tents.

3 comments:

Manda said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dillema. I had a thought about how you might create some "expandable" and "lengthening" clothing. I know you have a sewing machine, so maybe you can pull apart some shirts or pants at the seams and use a fun fabric to sew in on a V-line expanding the size of the tummy region, but keeping the rest of the dimensions the same. Also, you could add length by choosing a fun fabric and sewing it on to the hem. I can see this actually looking kinda neat in my mind. I'm picturing a solid shirt with a matching flower panel insert or vice-versa. This could even be a fun project to do with the children, though more time-consuming that way.

Just my random thoughts...
-Manda.

Shae said...

I really like your idea. I actually had thought about taking some of my tank tops and cutting the bottom part off and then sewing to the bottom of some of the shirts that fit well but aren't long enough (if the tanks were long enough I could just wear them underneath). My biggest issue is that I don't think my sewing is good enough yet. I'm not sure I could make it look good enough.

Manda said...

For this type of sewing, it would only matter that you can pull apart the seams and re-sew seams mostly straight. Even then, because the stitching would be to the sides or on the very bottom of the shirt, sewing straight probably wouldn't matter too much. Also, with your idea, by using the bottom of the tank tops you already have you wouldn't have to worry about making a straight hem, which is nice.