Friday, June 15, 2007

Research Experiment and more Potterific Predictions

Sammy has the opportunity to participate in research/testing for a new reflux drug. The drug is already approved for adults and children over age 5. Obviously there are risks involved (as well as a large time commitment, so we have not yet decided what to do. Because he is still having difficulties, it would be good to know if this option works. Plus, they would do free testing for lots of other conditions. We would be paid for allowing him to participate, but since the test would be in Indy the payment would probably not much more that compensate our expenses. So profit is not an issue. What do you guys think?

SPOILER ALERT:

Okay, so these aren't true spoilers. I haven't read book 7. But after reading books 5 and 6, I am prepared to make some educated guesses. I feel confident enough in some of them that I felt I should warn you.

The Horcruxes:

Here is what I think the horcruxes are.

Tom Riddle's diary - already destroyed in book 2.

Slytherin's ring- destroyed in book 6.

Slytherin's locket - I believe that the RAB who stole the locket is Regulus Black (Sirius Brother) and that he did so with the aid of Kreacher since only one wizard can ride on the boat. This is the locket mentioned in book 5 that they found at 12 Grimmauld place. However, I am wondering if the locket was taken by Mundungus and then sold to the barman of the Hogshead. In the encounter in which Harry confronts Mundungus, it says that the barman walked away clutching his cloak around his neck.

Hufflepuff's Cup - I don't have any clues as to where the cup might be. But I am guessing that retrieving it will involve the annoying Hufflepuff Quidditch player, Zacharias Smith. I am thinking that Smith is related to Hephzibah Smith from whom the cup was initially stolen.

Ravenclaw's Wand - Last seen in the shop of Ollivander in book 1. This is the wand that was sitting on display on a cushion in the shop. I think Ollivander's disappearance was probably related to this wand.

Harry - I think it was Voldemort's desire to turn Gryffindor's sword into a Horcrux initially. But Dumbledore's statements indicate that was not possible. We also know that Voldemort was planning to make his last horcrux the night he killed Harry's parents. My thought is that upon realizing that he could not kill Harry, he decided to make him a horcrux (that way as long as Harry survived he would survive also). I think it is this action that destroyed Voldemort and not the failed killing curse. Voldemort clearly did not realize the implications of his decision. I think the reason Nagini is mentioned as a possible horcrux is to let us know that living beings can be horcruxes. I am not nearly as confident about this theory as I am about my others.

In case you were wondering where my logic came from in selecting Ravenclaw's wand.
In Arthurian legend there were four HALLOWS. The grail (Hufflepuff's cup), the pentacle/amulet (Slytherin's locket), the sword/dagger (Gryffindor's sword), the baton/wand (which would be Ravenclaw's relic).

No comments: