Sunday, June 24, 2007

Random Notes on Life as of late

Tonight we had a church cookout. It was quite a bit of fun. Paul got to play a couple of games of ultimate. Mostly I played with the little ones. I decided it would be really nice if our church property had a swing set. Maybe someday.

Last night we went to Greekfest with Sara, Manda, and Doug. Fortunately the music was not quite so loud this year. They had some little rides for the kids, which the older two loved. And Paul was able to take Isaac into the moonwalk. The weather last night was actually cool for a change. So it was a good evening to be in the park.

Lately, Isaac has decided it is his mission in life to shove as many things as he can in the toilet. Laundry, toothbrushes, stuffed animals, remote controls. Anything he can find really. We try to keep the bathroom door shut, but Abigail usually forgets.

Wednesday morning I supposedly started my new Bible study. But only one of the ladies I invited came. Besides that, the girls who were supposed to be babysitting completely forgot. It doesn't look like things will go quite as planned.

Oh shoot. I just realized I need to write out some checks to pay bills.

Survey: Who thinks it would be interesting if I write more about Harry Potter? With the new book coming next month, it's on my mind. But If you would be bored I'll skip the topic. I was thinking about writing a Christian defense of the books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one would love to hear the Christian defense because, as you know, I have heard all of the horrors.

M LO said...

I would like to hear more on Harry Potter also. I have agreed with all of your summations so far. I've thought Snape was a good guy since about book 2 or 3. He is my absolute favorite character. I find it ridiculous that so many Christians are up in arms about Harry Potter. Although I would not give, say, book 5 and on to my young children to read, I don't think that reading the series leads to devil worship. In fact, I would rather Christian children read the series than non-Christian children. The reason being that Christian children usually have a stronger moral background and are less likely to be intrigued with magic.

I think that a Christian reading of Harry Potter could be done, though in any story of good vs. evil, Christian subtext is often found even when such intent is lacking. But perhaps by Christian defense, you mean that you are a Christian and you like the books, and you don't think that J.K. Rowling is trying to corrupt the youth of the world. In which case, I am entirely on board. Either way, I would look forward to reading a post on the matter.