Thursday, June 28, 2007

oofledy spoofle

So yesterday when I posted on my blog. I was writing a nice little entry which I titled "Why Christians Should Read Harry Potter" and then I came up with several good moral lessons from Harry Potter that show the book is in line with a Christian worldview. This is to convince people that no, the books really aren't about how to follow Satan. But then a comment on my previous post prompted me to change the title. Asking if Harry Potter is thoroughly Christian. At the time I really wasn't sure what the answer is. But I become more and more convinced that it is.

Two of the incidents in the books struck me really hard. And it is possible I am reading into them more than the author intended. But I thought I would share them.

Note: Any quotes in the following section are not exact because the books are not right here for me to consult.

First, after Dumbledore has drank the poisoned and Harry is apparating the two of them back to Hogsmeade, Harry tells Dumbledore "It's alright you're with me." But Dumbledore replies "i am not worried. I am with you." (emphasis mine). And when Dumbledore says this Harry feels better. At first it simply seems that Dumbledore is expressing confidence in Harry. But I think there is more to it than this. If that were all it were, I think Harry would feel more worried, not less. Instead, I thought about it more as Dumbledore saying he is not worried because HE is with Harry. It's Dumbledore's presence giving Harry strength, not Harry's strength giving Dumbledore comfort. It sort of reminds me of the way Christ promised his disciples "I am with you always"

No comments: