Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mothers' Day

To My Mother

Thank you for all the sleepless nights you spent with me. Thank you for tending to me while I was sick. Thank you for cleaning up after all of my messes. Thank you for teaching me how to do things on my own instead of just doing them for me. Thank you for babying me when I needed it, and for pushing me out of the nest when it was time for me to fly. Thank you for disciplining me when I needed it. And thank you for showing me that I was loved no matter how badly I messed up. Thank you most of all, for showing me what it means to follow God in all things, and teaching me to love Him.

To My Mother-In-Law

Thank you for tirelessly devoting yourself to your son. Thank you for not giving up on him when he struggled. Thank you for helping him to overcome his weaknesses and to develop on his strengths. Thank you for sacrificing yourself so that your children could have all that they needed. Thank you for teaching him to care for others and for the world around him. Thank you for dragging him to church each Sunday morning even though he did not want to go. And thank you for your diligent patience in waiting for the seeds of faith you planted in him to blossom to their fullness.


To all Mothers

Thank you for choosing to bear the role of a mother. Thank you for choosing a job which requires steadfastness and which has no end. The work of mothers is not an easy one. But there are few callings in this world in which one person can have so much influence on the life of another. Yes, all mothers have failings. All mothers make mistakes. But it matters so much more to our children that they can see our love than that we have all our ducks in a row. So go joyfully knowing that God has given you a special role. And in him we can all be successes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The fruits of my labor have blossomed in my children. I was just thinking today how lucky I am. Not that my children are perfect (of course I like to think they are), but for what truly wonderful adults they have become. And thank you for the post. It made me cry, but only happy tears. I love what I do now, but nothing compares to the joy I have being Mom and Nana.