Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Bye-Bye Easter Candy!

I don't know about you, but chocolate is one of my absolute greatest weaknesses. Now I fully believe that consuming small amounts of chocolate is a health benefit. But I have always struggled with self-control.

Since becoming pregnant I have been limiting my sweets to a small amount once a week. This week I had some (i.e. a little too much) strawberry-rhubarb pie on Sunday, and I was thinking I would make it until next Sunday. But yesterday afternoon I felt miserably sick (why do they call it morning sickness again? ) and this morning I was a real grump and the kids were getting my last nerve. So I succumbed to the temptation I had been resisting for the past month. The Easter candy.

The worst part is, although I felt better for a little while. Now I feel terrible again.

I know that cravings usually signal to us something we are missing in our diet, especially during pregnancy. If I am craving chocolate I probably need more fat and sugar. The problem is I should remedy this by eating things like cheese or avocado or maybe nuts and fruits. And of course, the more I consume a balanced diet and get all the nutrients I need, the less I will crave anything at all.

Right now the ice cream truck is parked on the street two houses down. It's not helping.


The children are napping now. Except for Isaac, who is testing me to see if I will let him get away with playing in the computer cupboard. He is starting to listen when I tell him no.

After the kids wake up we will go outside and work on my flower garden. I am thinking of going out to buy some annuals to plant in it this evening.

No comments: