Monday, November 5, 2007

Braxton and Hix

Nana is watching the kids tonight so I can get some cleaning done around this house. Bible Study is here tomorrow night, so I should make it look at least sort of decent. So why, you ask, am I typing on my blog? Is Shaelin procrastinating? For once no. I actually have a lot of cleaning energy today, the nesting bug finally hit. But thanks to Mssrs. Braxton and Hix I needed to take a break.

For those of you who don't know what that means: Braxton Hix contractions are contractions that prepare the uterus/cervix for labor and delivery. They cause effacement but not dilation. Women usually get lots of them in the month (or two) leading up to delivery. Most of my pregnancy advice books say they are painless (this is a complete lie --they sometimes are really terrible). But if you are actively doing something when they start (e.g. walking, chasing toddlers, or cleaning the house) they almost always stop when you stop. Conversely if they start when you are laying in bed, becoming active stops them.

Hopefully this has been a long enough break, so I will get back to work.

No comments: