Friday, August 10, 2007

Treasure Hunting

This morning, while Abigail was at day camp learning about one monkey (according to her), I took the boys shopping at Salvation Army. It was difficult to know which things to buy without Abigail there to help (she usually tells me to buy everything). But we did make a way with quite a few treasures.

We found:

2 T-shirts for Sammy (after searching three entire racks of children's t-shirts, most were not the right size, and some were already stained/worn out)

1 pair of pajamas for Isaac

2 Leotards for Abigail (knowing how much money I saved by not having to buy these new, made the whole trip worthwhile)

1 pair of Thomas the Tank Engine sneakers (size 10, so they are currently too big for any of my children, but I couldn't tell Sam no. Isaac spent the rest of the shopping trip yanking them away from Sam and throwing them on the floor. )

1 bathrobe with Smiley Faces (Too big for Isaac, so I need to try and convince Sam to wear it, so Isaac can take his old one. Sam gets really attached to everything though)

Things I almost bought but didn't include: infant-sized superman suit, roller-blades adult size six, cabbage patch doll, two size five velvety dresses.

Things I was looking for but did not find: one child size sleeping bag, appropriate for a little boy (The Little Mermaid didn't seem quite right for Isaac), one small backpack for Isaac (The only one that was the right size in good shape had "Peter" embroidered on it), Size 7 boys shoes.

Not my most successful thrifting experience, but all in all we had fun. Someday my children may want to own things that were not pre-owned, but in the meantime we can all be happy.

2 comments:

Manda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Manda said...

I love your description of thrift store shopping as treasure hunting. Since it's rare to find what you go there looking for, it's rather like a treasure hunt. I went recently with Sara and found nothing on the list, but several items that evoked fond memories (music, games, and toys do that). I wish you luck on your cleaning, but remember none of us who are coming care how clean it is, we're just glad to see you and the family (given that, I know how badly one can desire a clean house despite - I've had enough of my own parties ^_^).

Good luck, and, as soon as we know the details of how long we plan to stay, we'll shoot you an e-mail or a comment here!

-Manda.