Thursday, August 9, 2007

The dentist

This morning after dropping Abigail off at day camp, I took the boys to the Food Coop to kill about an hour until I had to be at a dentist appointment. Sammy insisted on pushing the cart (with Isaac riding), and since the point of the trip was to kill time I let him. The boys tested the samples, and amazingly loved the raw green beans dipped in Honey-Dijon mustard. I refused since I didn't want to get any crud in my teeth. Then a store employee with a roll of stickers came by and put on one Sammy that said "Organic". He was delighted. We purchased a few "necessities" like Virgil's root beer for Paul. Then I let the boys select a baked treat. If it had been me, I probably would have wanted the chocolate coconut bar or the toffee brownie. But they wanted a carrot, raisin muffin.

I waited until we arrived at the Dentist's office to give the boys the muffin. I figured it would help pacify them while I was being tortured. I was right. I was not at all pleased to see that I had my least favorite dental hygienist. She tends to be rather brutal, and my mouth still hurts five hours later. Then the dentist came in, and I'm pretty sure he didn't actually talk to me about my teeth at all. He did ask about Sam's hair. Since this is the same dentist I have gone to for years, he must have forgotten that I am an O'Neil. Then he talked with the hygienist about my teeth. Then he looked at my teeth while ranting about the new smoking ban. He then discussed the condition of the enamel on my front teeth with the hygienist. The condition of the enamel on my teeth has not changed in over ten years. And yet, at every appointment it is discussed. He figures that as long as it doesn't get worse he won't do anything about it. Unless I want to, for cosmetic reasons.

Finally, my teeth cleaning was done. By this time, Isaac had successfully unhooked the suctioning straw at least three times. Plus, both boys were covered in muffin crumbs.

Since we still had an hour and a half until it was time to pick up Abigail, I took the boys to Jefferson Pointe Mall. There is a really neat play area in the food court. The still somewhat muffin covered boys were hungry, so we went to Auntie Anne's and got pretzels. The first batch of pretzels for the day was just coming out of the oven. Yum!

Finally, we retrieved Abigail and came home. The boys were both too full from their snacks to want lunch.

Not me, I'm always hungry. (Of course, I didn't get a muffin)

No comments: