Friday, July 18, 2008

A cost benefit analysis

As usual I am naking right now, so please forgive any typos. After Omi is done eating, I will have to do one of my least favorite household chores: washing the diapers.

Since Manda mentioned the other day that she isn't sure whether she will use cloth diapers or disposables (aka sposies) I thought I'd analyze whether or not it's worth it.

The average infant goes through 3000 diapers the first year. They use less diapers as they get older, but the diapers get more expensive, so we'll just use that figure for until they potty train.

Sposies:

The average child wearing disposables potty trains between age 2.5 and 3. They might not be fully potty trained until close to 3.5 at nighttime. But that's only one dipe a day. So we'll use 2.5
2.5 x 3000 is 7500. If you shop sales and are fairly cost conscious about buying cheap diapers, the cost for sposies is probably about $0.20 each. A total cost of about $1500. You might be able to get by cheaper, if you are especially good at shopping sales. Then again, if you aren't a sale shopper and just by name brand diapers at regular price, you could easily spend $2500.

Cloth:

The average child wearing cloth diapers potty trains between age 1.5 and 2 (pretty cool eh?). The further analysis is pretty hard to do because there are so many variations in types of cloth diapers. You probably would want to wash diapers every other day to every third day, so we'll say 3 times per week. (Okay so, you'd probably never want to wash diapers, but that's another matter). So you'd probably want to have about 3 dozen diapers or so.

Basic Cheap - Plastic Pants, Pins, and Simple Prefolds. You can by a dozen prefold, birdseye weave, dundee diapers (my favorite brand) for $10.00, similar diapers in other brands are about $12.00. Some brands sell these as burp cloths (what a hoot!). Diaper pins are usually about $1.00 for 4. I would think you'd want two packages of these. Then plastic pants usually run about $3.00 per pair. You probably would want 6 pairs or so of these in each of 4 sizes (S,M,L, XL), although you can probably skip M and just jump from S to L. So 4x3x6 = $72. The cost of a load of laundry can vary a great deal from about $.03 to $.10 depending on what detergent you use. So we'll use the more expensive number .10x52weeksx2years = $10.40 . You might want to add something to keep the diaper pails smelling fresh (e.g. detergent, baking soda etc.) and you might add something to the wash as a softener (vinegar or baking soda work well). So maybe add another $.05 per load so the cost would be $15.80. So the total then would be 12x3= 36 + 72 +16 (because I don't like adding in 15.80) =$124.

But if you want anything more than the basic (velcro wraps, wool covers (if you don't make your own from wool sweaters, snappis, fitted diapers, you could easily spend more than that). If you buy expensive diapers I could see someone even spending that $1500. But I would guess the average cloth diaper user spends close to $250. I personally prefer pins and plastic pants or wool sweater covers, but I spent a lot of money on other things before I reached that conclusion.

In some places there is a diaper service option where you pay someone and they pick up the diapers and wash them for you. I don't know what this costs, it isn't available here.

G-pants - Are velcro wraps that you can put liners in. They have washable cloth liners or flushable/biodegradable liners. If you use the flushable liners, you aren't really saving money (you might even be spending more depending on how many wraps you need). But you are saving the environment. With the cloth you would be saving both ways. Many day cares are even willing to use these with the flushable liners. Which if your child is in daycare at all they probably wouldn't except cloth.

I use cloth part time and sposies part time. I would like to use cloth full time. But the prospect of taking cloth diapers everywhere is somewhat intimidating to me.

So the only advantage of sposies is convenience. But that is a big advantage. However, I think if I wanted to use them full time that I would definitely go with the g pants. And if I were expecting my first, I would ask for them as baby shower gifts. You can also get cloth as baby shower gifts. I don't think we have bought a single cloth diaper. And we have probably been given close to a gross of them (many have been passed on to others).

4 comments:

Manda said...

Wow, that's a boatload of information! I think the biggest thing for us will be to see if we can be disciplined enough to use the cloth. Laundry isn't our favorite pastime, nor is it easy to use the laundry machine at our building -- someone else always seems to be using it. And, if we don't do them at the house, we pay a $1.50 a load to wash and $0.25/10 minutes to dry. Ouch!

-Manda.

roerte said...

It's a ton of information, thanks for the analysis, Shae! I've got a bunch of random notes to add, just because I like to talk (I'm really sorry):

My mom actually went ahead and bought a lot of disposables for Rachel, but by then we'd already built a stash of cloth diapers for her to use, so we alternated a lot. When Rachel outgrew the disposables my mom bought (and we had a lot left over), we ended up using gDiapers for going out (there's a store here that sells them - yay!), and cloth for when we were home. Yes, I find it a different kind of gross, the idea of lugging dirty cloth diapers everywhere when we go out. Derek and I have our limits.

Costwise, no, you aren't really saving much money with gDiapers. The starter kit is around $30.00, which would give you 2 covers and 10 inserts. A pack of 32 is around $15 (that's.. .$0.47?). But the option was there for us because we use maybe 4 or 5 a week, and we compost the wet ones with the rest of the veggie waste (... not the poopy ones, but the gDiaper site will tell you that outright). So they're cute and all, but much better off on part-time, IMO.

The other thing about using laundry machines: I've read accounts that some places, if they find out you're washing diapers in the machines, have a fit over how sanitary it is/isn't. With our washing machine at home, we haven't had problems (I'm pretty sure we would've gotten sick if it didn't wash right, or something), but it's a hard thing to prove to people that the machine doesn't need to be disinfected after every load, especially since the actual washing procedure may vary. =\ You may have to ask the managers about that. 'Course, I guess bleach would do the trick every time, but it does wear down the diapers pretty quickly. ^___^

You'll probably want to find a diaper-friendly detergent so that the babee doesn't get a rash from all the buildup that a lot of detergents leave (pinstripesandpolkadots.com has a good list).

Random other stuff, mostly about cloth: Rachel's had very few diaper rashes; at least, it seems that way. The last really bad one she had was about a year ago, so I really do think cloth helps that a lot (but then again, it also depends on whether there's buildup on them - I went through a couple of detergents to find something that worked).

Wool makes an excellent breathable cover, and I never knew how awesome it was until I learned it was used for covers. The only downfall is washing it so it doesn't shrink down to Barbie size.

I picked up knitting because we started using cloth. The internet is a good/bad influence.

(And by the time I finish the pants for Naomi, she'll be too big. =( I'm sorry. I'll try to make it up.)

There are crazy people out there that will pay >$250 for one embroidered fitted diaper (that will be covered up by an embroidered cover that will probably end up not fitting right anyway). These are the ones that spend way too much time thinking about poop-receptacles.

Prefold + cover that fits + Snappi (I'm a wuss) = diapered babee

"worth-it" splurge in case you ever think about it = BumGenius pocket -> Velcro + one-size snapping system + can eat a prefold as its inner layer = win. We use them at night, and she wakes up dry and not leaking all over the place (but really stinky o.O). And she's been using them since 6 weeks (though the velcro needs some repair).

It's probably also important to make sure that anyone else willing to change babee's diapers knows how to use them. This doesn't sound important now, but ... it kinda is. >.>

I'll shut up, now.

Shae said...

Hey, thanks Loree... It's good to hear from you. Are you guys going to come up at all for Labor Day? I know Kathy is really hoping you will since she's bringing Don. (and we all have to make sure he passes the test).

$250 for a diaper???? Man, maybe I ought to embroider diapers for extra cash?

Another thing is that we always rinse out poopy diapers in the toilet so they don't stink up the diaper pails and there isn't as much sewage in the washer. Also, adding vinegar to the rinse cycle acts as both a fabric softener and disinfectant.

And Manda, I totally could see where the effort of cloth diapers might not be worth it for you guys. I would hate to lug the diaper pail up and down that many flights of stairs.

Manda said...

I'll admit it, I'm eternally lazy where laundry is concerned, especially when steps are involved. Ask anyone who knew me in college what my room looked like!

Thanks so much for all the additional information Loree! I'm going to have to do some research just so I can get a visual of what all the terms you used mean, but I've got some time yet. ^_^ Also, I hadn't thought about the building complaining about our use of the machine...I really didn't even consider that as an issue. However, I can easily imagine the other tenants (especially the really mean condo president) yelling about it.

Out of curiosity, if you use the biodegradable liners, does washing the diapers in a tub work? Or at least pre-washing them there? Just a thought...

Thanks again!
-Manda.