Sunday, July 15, 2007

I'm an incurable geek...

... but I think we all already knew this. The reason I have to make this confession yet again deals with the crazy softball game I played this evening. The craziest part about it being my team (finally) won a game. (I play on a co-ed softball team with my church group against other YA groups in the area... ours is the most co-ed of any team)

All my years of running make it hard for me to stop on any base. I'm thankful for the fact I'm allowed to over-run 1st base. At one of my at-bats this evening, the 1st baseman was playing a little more on the bag than he ought to, and as consequence, there was a collision. I hit the 1st baseman then rotated in the process of falling. I wasn't hurt (and I took the worst of the damage). In fact, I found myself thinking about the fact I went from linear motion to rotational motion and I wonder if from inventorying where I felt stiff from the accident if I could figure out what my point of rotation was. Well, that was the 2nd thought I had (the first was to find my glasses which thankfully did not get damaged after falling off my face during the descent).

In an intelligent move on my part, I did not go telling my teammates about conservation of momentum. I decided if I did that, they might think I'd hit my head harder than I was admitting. As it was, one of my teammates to me that she knew how to check for a concussion, she had a 1st aid kit, she could do surgery if needed... she is one of the characters of the team so I'm hoping that at least part of that was a joke. I reassured her I was fine, that is, once I could breathe long enough to talk. I think that is as close as I've come to being broken since leaving Rose (breaking == laughing too hard to breathe).

I wasn't the only one who fell or got hit by the ball or bat this evening. Our team's catcher had at least the latter two events happen to her this evening. One guy got hit by a foul ball by one of our teammates while he was coaching 3rd. In the end, nobody got hurt that badly (the catcher's probably has the greatest likelihood of being sore tomorrow).

On a lighter note, Saturday I got to go biking with some of the church group. We probably went about 10 miles on the Ohio Canal Towpath. It was fun. I saw some ducks, a few random heron, and as I was leaving I saw the obligatory gaggle of geese. Because, there are few places I can go in life without the geese following me.

No comments: