Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy New Year, Liturgially Speaking

This morning before Mass, my father is looking through the book with the readings. He nudges me, and pointing to the page titled "Thanksgiving 2009" says "I can't find Nov. 30. I found Thanksgiving, but not Nov. 30"(he apparently did not notice the year associated with Thanksgiving)
My response: "You need to look in the front of the book. Happy Liturgical New Year."
Dad: "What, it is the first Sunday of Advent already?"
me: "Yes, Christmas is 25 days away."
Dad: "Time sure flies when you're having fun... and when you get to be my age, it moves even faster..."

And with that, I wanted to wish everyone a happy season of Advent. In the Catholic Church, we have moved from Year A to Year B -- this means we will hear from Mark's Gospel instead of Matthew (Year A) or Luke (Year C). John is included around Christmas/Easter, and at toward the end of Year B (since Mark is the shortest Gospel).

It is hard to believe November is nearly over. It has been quite a month. A trip to 2 cities in IN, going to my parents' just for dinner for Thanksgiving instead of the whole day, going to the Great Lakes Science Center -- lots going on.

No comments: