Wednesday, August 5, 2009

breastfeeding baby doll

This toy is not one that I would purchase for my daughters. But I don't really understand why it is considered inappropriate. My children have all been introduced to breastfeeding at an early age, because I breastfeed. And when I had to pump when Sammy was little, Abby would pretend to be pumping and feeding her baby dolls. And when he had a feeding tube she gave her baby dolls tube feedings.

Most of my friends who nurse babies with older sisters report that their little girls also pretend to nurse the babies.

I really don't see how this doll would make little girls try to get pregnant sooner. And if you think it would, why wouldn't a baby doll with a bottle have the same effect.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My only thought is they don't need a pretend breast to "nurse". Children will pretend to do what they see. i don't think it is bad, just unnecessary. Mom

Shae said...

I doesn't come with a pretend breast. It comes with a pretend nursing bra.

Anonymous said...

Stand corrected. I have the controversy and some untrue statements then. My how rumors grow with semi accurate information. I still think kids do just fine with their own imagination. You didn't because you were the last but even your brothers gave it a try when you were a baby. I am not sure how a nursing bra would make kids want to get pregnant anymore than a bottle though. We definitely take something natural and make a big deal of it. Mom