Monday, May 25, 2009

The Garage Sale

Saturday, we awoke in Kansas City and were set to enjoy the day. This started with my father and I taking the children for a walk. About half a block past Grandma's house there was a garage sale. We stopped and looked to see what they had, and I told them I would be back.

So after our walk, I grabbed some cash and went to the garage sale. I bought a grocery bag full of really nice clothes for the girls (mostly for Abby) and spent only about $2. I was so excited. So I went back to Grandma's and showed off my loot. Then Papa walked to the garage sale and purchased two large bags of stuff. And then my mother decided to go check it out, and she came back with even more stuff.

Then my dad and took a bike ride. The area was a little hilly, so I had trouble keeping up. I found that I had to be going really fast down the hills or I could never make it back up them.

Meanwhile back at the garage sale there was a tricycle, which my parents thought would be nice for Sammy. But they wanted Paul to check it out first. So Paul, after he got up, went down to the garage sale and came back with a few things, but not the trike. When he came back he alerted me to the fact that they had dishes that matched ours. So I went back and bought the dishes.

Then Papa decided to buy the trike after all. So he went back.

Then the little girl whose clothes we had just bought for Abby, came over to play.

Later that evening we went to my "cousin" Jane's house for the graduation party of my "cousin" Jordan. We had an enjoyable visit. I chatted quite a bit with my "cousin" Erin, who is close to my age but who I didn't really know before because her branch of the family doesn't come for holidays (they are JWs). And normally we only come up for holidays. Erin's two children were close in age to my four, so they had a good time playing together.

Sunday morning, Paul and my dad helped the children to make pancakes for us since it was Mother's day. I thought Grandma Pat would really appreciate it, but she seemed a little on edge about having someone else cooking in her kitchen.

The children were a little under the weather, so I decided to keep them home from church. Especially since at this point people seemed to be alarmed anytime they heard a sneeze because it could be swine flu. Grandma Pat stayed back with me, and Paul went to church with my parents at a Catholic church.

Then we had an Easter egg hunt. And after everybody was back from church we went downstairs to open the presents under the tree, which was decorated with Valentines (I guess Grandma wanted to make up for missed holidays). Then Grandma told us we needed to leave so she could get ready for the visitors who were coming later.

I didn't have a good idea for where I was supposed to take sick children on a rainy day. But we ended up taking them to McDonald's. Hopefully we didn't get anybody else sick.

Then we came back and had a lovely meal with My aunt Pegi and uncle Blaine as well as my cousin Bethany and her husband Jim. It was the first time I had seen Bethany (who is a year younger than me) since she had been married 4 years ago. Then later on my great uncle, John also came by to visit.

Then later in the evening Paul and I walked over to my great aunt Kate's house and had a nice visit with her and her daughter Kitty Lou (I am pretty sure only family calls her that). Kate was watching the Royal's game on TV when we arrived and she was complaining that the team could only play well at home and not on the road. Anyway, it was a relief to see that Kate, who is ninety, is still sharp as a tack. She has always been a very witty person, and I think it would crush me to see her lose her mental power much more than it does to see that she can barely get around.

After our visit, we went back to Grandma Pat's house and I spent the rest of the evening visiting, doing laundry, and packing.

2 comments:

Manda said...

What an adventurous trip! It sounds like the garage sale was a great boon to your family as well. ^_^

Kathy said...

Garage sales are wonderful! A week or so ago I got a ball of yarn and a latch-hook rug kit for a whole $1.25